Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Day 06- Consultation

Yippee!!
It was my groups' turn for consultation. The reason being why I am so eager for it; is firstly we get to share our views on our 'project' , which is from there we can do the neccessary adjustments and also learning valuable tips from Alan himself.

Before we even begin our consultation, Alan told us that by doing this 'assignment' was to really help us understand that the narrative can be executed and carried out on screen. Even so, if it was to be a silent clip but yet able to portray and tell the story well would be a bonus of course; that's my opinion I would say.

Indeed, I believe storytelling is an essential part for us animators. In this case, storytelling is an ancient oral art that demonstrates the power of words. It artistically uses language to develop all of the critical components involved in the communication process.
Adapted from : http://www.asha.org/about/publications/leader-online/archives/2001/storytelling.htm

You can see how storytelling work wonders. If an animation piece were to be of an easy style but the storytelling is fantastic, it will still be a superb piece. I wouldn't dare say if a nice appealing animation is produced but has no deep-found story behind it, would it still be as good with one with a good storyline.

Why i say this; whenever I watched a film with my dad, though it may be visually attractive, he would claim the storyline is a blur; making the audience confuse and would walk away from the cinema.
He told me never to make a confusing movie.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alan also mentioned that though one may be talented but has poor time management may not produce as perfect as to one whom has not much talent but is able to manage the time wisely. Hope I mention it correctly~

I got to agree with this totally. It is best if one has both the talent and have good time management. I am still struggling to perfect my time management thingy. Hee~

When it was my turn to present, Alan told me to edit my aims as it seems abit too veek. It should be something where it could be access even before doing the actual production. He also gave examples as to specify my target audience. I have to imagine the exact person I want to show the animation to and from there set the age range accordingly.

During my previous consultation with Alan, he suggested promoting the GPS which I found it to be a refreshing idea. Noone would thought that it will be an advertisement promoting the GPS after watching the animation. Thus, I really wanted this to be a success in the outcome. But I have to make the animation short like 30 seconds. For that, I was really worried, i wanted to show some exaggeration shots of my characters having to pray and such. I was wondering how do I squeese my actions shot but yet able to portray the 'promotion' across.

A tough decision I would say.
Maybe i have to seriously think deep about it.
Thanks Alan for the valuable lessons.

Here is the edited learning contract: (Comments are welcome)

MOI Project 3(DMV3630)

Learning Contract


Name: Tan Liqing Vivien
Admin No: 0701788B
Supervisor: Alan Philip Rudge

DESCRIPTION

Working title: ‘Halo’ Balloon Priest
Short description:
(not more than 50 words, and not more than 3 sentences)
A Catholic priest died while attempting to set a world record for clustered balloon flight. Though he was fully equipped with safety gadgets, things didn’t go as he had planned when the wind direction changes; he realized he didn’t know how to use a Global Positioning System.


Primary aim:

(aims are considered when you are assessed)
-To produce/create appealing characters


I will know I have achieved my primary aim if:
(please complete the sentence)
-I have posted my characters onto the blog and people commented on how personalised and appeal my character has.


Secondary aims:
(aims are considered when you are assessed)
-To create an animation that enables to catch my audiences’ attention.


I will know I have achieved my secondary aims if:

(please complete the sentence)
-I have shown the animatics which I done, and the audience comments that it was enjoyable/pleasant to watch.


Personal motivation:
(what inspires you to choose this project)
Up, a 3D- animation and Undo, dramatic animation done by Marcin Wasko

I also wanted to do this as I feel that by doing this animation, it enables me to widen my horizon and expand my creativity due to the fact that reference photos are rather hard to capture. I am taking this as a challenge for myself.



PROCESS
Full project description:


A Catholic priest died while attempting to set a world record for clustered balloon flight. Though he was fully equipped with safety gadgets, things didn’t go as he had planned when the wind direction changes; he realized he didn’t know how to use a Global Positioning System.

2D animation

One minute

• Kim Possible’s textured background
• Characters will have bold lines and cell shade
• Drama

Deciding the style of the background to suit the character; making it seems to be from a same animation. Meeting the deadlines. Making the action flows realistically. Having to visualise a person sitting from top view. It will also be tough to find reference for a view in different angles from above. Even the exaggerated actions throughout the whole animation.


Research requirements:
Location

Search images- overview of how the Atlantic ocean, Brazil would look like. Also the housing estates, fields and even mountains in Brazil during 2008. Many balloons clustered together in different views and angles.

Character

Man sitting on a chair in top view and in different angles
Exaggerated expressions the characters can make
Images of brazil clothing
Searching sites for character design

Learning advance colouring and texturing for the background

Usage of flash for colouring and animating the character smoothly. How to rotoscope properly; adapting to the character.

History Facts
A Catholic priest recently ascended to heaven on a host of helium party balloons, paying homage to Lawn Chair Larry's aerial adventure. Larry, the beloved survivor of a Darwin-worthy fiasco, attached 45 helium weather balloons to his lawnchair, packed a picnic lunch, and cut the tether--but instead of drifting above the Los Angeles landscape as planned, he was rocketed into LAX air traffic lanes by the lift of the weather balloons. Astoundingly, Larry survived the flight.


Additional resources:


OUTCOMES
Step 1: define the target audience…
Age range: 30-45
Gender: Female and Male
Geographical region: Worldwide except Brazil, the incident which took place
Social group: Young working adults and adults collects gadgets as their hobbies
Viewing reading & listening habits:Adults who loves phones and gadgets
Are there any secondary target groups?Adults who loves animations.

Step 2: what effect do you hope to have on your target groups?
Influence to purchase promoted phone.

Signatures/dates

Student:

Date: 23 April 2009


Supervisor:

Date:

Hmm.. I still feel something is needed to be edited? Is my aims still too veek? Too short? I wonder why.
Really; feel free to give comments.

Thanks
Signing off
Bat Vivien~

No comments:

Post a Comment